From “Prep + Rally” by Dini Klein. Copyright © 2022 by Dini Delivers LLC. Interior Photography © 2022 by Ren Fuller. Reprinted by permission of Harvest, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers.
Chicken-Broccoli Egg Rolls
Serves 4 (Makes 12 egg rolls)
For egg rolls
4 cups chopped BBQ-Rubbed Chicken (page 32) or 4 cups chopped rotisserie chicken
6 cups chopped Roasted Broccoli (page 35) or 6 cups of your favorite roasted or sautéed vegetable finely chopped (e.g, sautéed cabbage, frozen peas and corn, broccoli, stir fry mix)
½ cup store-bought BBQ sauce
12 egg roll wrappers
Cooking oil spray or light olive oil
½ recipe Roasted Zucchini (page 35)
½ recipe Ranch Dip (page 36)
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a standard baking sheet with parchment paper and grease the parchment with cooking oil spray.
- Make the egg rolls: In a medium bowl, mix together the chicken, broccoli, and BBQ sauce. Place one egg roll wrapper on a work surface and set a small cup or bowl of water nearby. Fill the egg roll wrapper with roughly ¼ cup of the chicken mixture. Fold the bottom up, then fold in the left and right sides and roll up the wrapper to enclose the filling. Dab some water on the edge to seal and place the egg roll seam side down on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat to make 12 egg rolls total.
- Spray the egg rolls with cooking oil spray (or use a pastry brush to brush them with olive oil) and bake for 30 minutes or so, until golden brown and crisp. Transfer to a serving platter and cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, spread the zucchini onto another parchment-lined baking sheet and warm in the oven, uncovered, for about 20 minutes, in the oven with the egg rolls.
- Serve the egg rolls with the ranch dip and zucchini on the side.
- Get the kids involved in the egg roll rolling process. It’s fun!
- If you’re making these egg rolls vegetarian, stuff them with store-bought prepared tofu and/or your favorite sautéed vegetables.
- Lighten it up by stuffing the egg roll filling into tortillas, or make it gluten-free by serving the filling in lettuce cups.